NOW HIRING - Costume Designer & Manager (full-time staff position)
Lincoln Community Playhouse is seeking a Costume Designer and Manager. This is a full-time position with a salary of $35,000 plus health insurance.
Position begins January 1, 2024. Resumes and cover letter should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline is October 1, 2023.
Generally operating on a 4-day work week schedule with evenings and weekends as required. Must be willing to respond in real-time during off-peak and weekend hours due to the evolving nature of operating a live theatre venue.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Report to the Executive Director
- Read scripts for all productions for the season (including any special events) and be thoroughly familiar with the play/musical prior to meeting with the Director
- Participate in all production meetings for each production
- Collaborate with set, lighting and sound designers to create a costume design to support the director’s concept of the production
- Determine costume needs using script and historical reference to create a costume plot for each production
- Build, rent or pull from stock any and all pieces required for production
- Collaborate with the stage manager and director to schedule costume fittings, coordinate fast change rehearsals, costume parade and special needs for each actor’s individual movement
- Attend all technical, dress rehearsals, and all post-tech rehearsal meetings as called by the director and/or Executive Director
- Determine need for wardrobe crew. Create a schedule, monitoring the volunteers and providing support throughout the production process including strike, laundering and maintenance of all costuming items
- Maintain costume inventory and shop, including costume cleaning, assigning repair work, shoe inventory, costume shop supplies, equipment and fabric inventory
- Ensure budgetary control of materials and labor for all productions and assigned projects. Process all invoices for costume shop purchases with production budget in mind
- Responsible for determining and administering shop budget aside from production
- Oversee special projects such as dying fabric, painting and millinery
- Recruit, train, and supervise costume volunteers.·
- Makeup and wig coordination.
- Facilitate costume rental and loaning process from stock including pricing (with the approval of the Executive Director), contracts, invoicing, fittings, cleaning, shipping and drop-off/pick-ups
- Qualifications to include:
- Minimum of a BFA or BF in costume design, similar focus, or comparable costume designer work experience.
- Respectful communication with guest designers, co-workers, and volunteers
- Organize, direct, and lead staff and volunteers of all experience levels
- Proficient in gmail, Google docs and design software
- Understanding and consistent practice of basic budgeting and bookkeeping
- Possess a valid state issued driver’s license
- Willingness to obtain other licenses or certificates needed for this position as required by law
- Having a general understanding and appreciation for the performing arts in our community
Frequently: stand/walk, sit, perform desk-based computer tasks, grasp forcefully, climb (ladders, etc), twist/bend/stoop/squat, reach/work above shoulders, lift regularly up to 50lbs and occasionally more, grasp lightly/fine manipulation, use a telephone, write by hand